This course is taught with the intent to provide Naturopathic healthcare providers with the proper guidelines for safe and effective administration of intravenous (IV), intramuscular (IM), subcutaneous (SubQ) and intradermal (ID) injections. By the end of the course, participants should feel comfortable and confident in administration of intravenous therapy and other types of injections.
This course offers practical training with the addition of audio and visual presentations. The course will be carried out in a lecture-style format of course material, practicum break-out sessions and there will be opportunity for question and answer periods.
Participants will be provided with a paper copy of their lecture notes from the visual presentations. Participants are required to bring a calculator for Osmolarity and drip rate calculations.
The practical training will include the safe and proper preparation and administration of intravenous (IV), intramuscular (IM), subcutaneous (SubQ) and intradermal (ID) injections.
Practical sessions will also include the successful preparation, insertion, and discontinuation of 5 angiocatheters (standard safety winged and advanced safety bloodless design catheters) as well as successful preparation, insertion, and discontinuation of 5 safety butterfly needles.
All participants are broken up into groups of 2, 3 or 4 people per group. Course lectures and practical sessions are carried out in an intravenous therapy suite, fully equipped with access to emergency crash cart, oxygen tank with regulator, emergency medicines, needles, syringes, ampules, intravenous bags and carrier solutions, first aid stations, phlebotomy and intravenous access stations. Participants will have the opportunity to train with a mannequin arm for injection and intravenous purposes when not practicing on a partner. The goal is for the healthcare provider to see what an intravenous therapy suite looks like in terms of setup and flow.
Participants, by the end of the course, should feel comfortable and confident with preparation and administration of intravenous and injectable substances as well as clean-technique compounding.
CE CREDITS / APPROVALS
This course has been approved for the following:
(1) 23 Category A - IVIT credits from the College of Naturopaths of Ontario (CONO).
(2) 23 Category E - IVIT credits from the Saskatchewan Association of Naturopathic Practitioners (SANP)
(3) Initial Authorization for Naturopathic Injection Therapies and IV Therapy in Saskatchewan by the Saskatchewan Association of Naturopathic Practitioners (SANP)
(4) Initial Authorization for Naturopathic Injection Therapies and IV Therapy in Alberta by the College of Naturopathic Doctors of Alberta (CNDA)
(5) Initial Authorization for Naturopathic Injection Therapies and IV Therapy in Manitoba by the Manitoba Naturopathic Association (MNA)
COST: $900.00 + applicable taxes